On the day of the hearing:
- Arrive early to the hearing location.
- Dress appropriately (neat business attire, for example).
- Review your file if it is available in your state.
- Prepare to be sworn in, and for your witnesses to be sworn in.
- Stay calm and unemotional when presenting your claim.
- Avoid arguing with the judge or lawyer who may ask questions. Always refer to the judge as “your honor”.
During the unemployment insurance hearing, you will have an opportunity to tell you side of the story. It’s important that you stick to the facts and avoid making any false statements. This is also the time for you to present any evidence, including witness testimony, to support your case. You will also have the opportunity to cross-examine your former employer and their witnesses (if any), and give a closing statement.